This was actually a pretty fun exercise to do, especially in conjunction with the new year and putting fresh eyes on my closet. I mentioned before that even with a previous closet clean out, I was still struggling with the ongoing what-to-wear dilemma.
I realized after completing this challenge that the problem was looking at all of my clothes, all of the time. I do not need to see my summer cotton dresses when I'm dressing for Seattle winter or have my (very few) cocktail dresses at the front of the line-up when it's pretty rare that I need to dig these out for something.
I followed Courtney's guidelines and realized when I counted the pared-down closet of 99 items that this was actually going to be tougher than I thought. But I persevered! I do really well when I'm in competition with myself. It's a fun game of "ok, how far can I go with this?"
My key takeaways from this project were:
- If it's not in the capsule, it must be put AWAY (boxed up or out of sight otherwise it's tempting to grab for it)
- I was still able to discard a few items but am still in the process of parting with items in my "outbox." I will review these again when I make my next capsule.
- Even though I love color and print, my most versatile (and most frequently worn pieces) are lots of greys, stripes, and polka dots. Jewelry has been great for accessorizing and transforming an outfit.
- I'm wearing everything every week and a half or so, and somehow getting MORE compliments on them.
I made two exceptions for this challenge - I had upcoming trips, one with weather about 15 degrees warmer and the other was international with a ton of walking. I allowed myself to pull a couple items that weren't in the capsule specifically for these, which of course, I packed away when I returned. I also had a Stitch Fix box coming and wanted to complete the project but allowed myself to swap out any items from SF that I wanted to keep in my current capsule.
I'm really pleased with this little space in my closet and the fact that I CAN SEE THE FLOORS!
Here's what made the cut for the Winter Capsule:
- Navy blue puffy jacket
- Olive puffy vest
- Dark grey Bar III dress
- 41 Hawthorne chevron striped dress
- Stitch Fix navy and white striped dress
- Nautical cardigan
- Navy and plaid sweater
- Magenta open cardigan
- Hot pink open cardigan
- Coral knit open cardigan
- Grey open drape/zip up cardigan
- Quilted floral top
- Black and white polka dot sheer tab sleeve
- Black and white herringbone tab sleeve
- Cream and polka dot short sleeve
- Black H&M v-neck tee
- Dark floral sleeveless top
- H&M blush and black sleeveless
- H&M black and white chevron striped sleeveless top
- Navy and white striped tank
- Old Navy black cami
- Old Navy white cami
- Oatmeal ribbed tank
- Black cutout sweater
- White and teal sweater
- Old Navy black skinny jeans
- Mossimo dark wash skinny jeans
- Levi's medium blue jeggings
- Mavi burgundy skinny pants
- Tom's cream Dessert Wedge booties
- Grey Steve Madden boots
- Diba black ankle booties
- Franco Sarto black oxfords