I recently started the Whole 30 to help curb some cravings and develop healthier eating habits. This meant I needed to organize the fridge, a nagging task that I just didn't want to do.
Following up on a past blog post about tackling small projects, I approached this organization project with a different mindset - to start with something super basic that I could build on when I had more time. No matter what, I was going to end up with a better looking fridge!
Easy steps for a quick fridge refresh:
- Purge any old/suspect-looking leftovers (your stomach will thank you)
- Toss anything expired (condiments always seem to be the worst offender, and that carton of milk!)
- Organize by like items
- Produce in the crisper - I put veggies in one and fruit in the other
- Group condiments together - separated by sweet and savory
- Leftovers got their own shelf front and center as a reminder to incorporate them into upcoming meals
- Wipe down any visible spills/stains
I set a timer and spent only ten minutes on this! Next time, I will do a deeper cleaning where I'll remove the drawers and shelves to wash with warm, soapy water. But for now, this did the trick and now I can see easily what's available now that I'm cooking more!